Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day

My mom is the cute curly headed gal behind the kid with the glasses!
I have my hand on the ape, whom we used to joke was our dad ...
 It was my 15th birthday. Bryan is below me age 13,
Kayleen in the sailor shirt age 16 and Leon in the Mickey Mouse shirt age 12



Mother's day! It can be an interesting day for me. I try not to think about never having the opportunity to have children of my own and rather focus on the Joy of my mother ... great friends in my life...and an amazing sister! Actually, I have a few of those!

 I received a booklet from a sweet friend written by Sheri Dew entitled "Are We Not All Mothers?" I read it and was strengthened!   "Motherhood is more than bearing children, though it is certainly that. It is the essence of who we are as women. It defines our very identity, our divine stature and nature, and the unique traits our Father gave us.
President Gordon B. Hinckley stated that “God planted within women something divine.” That something is the gift and the gifts of motherhood. Women are born with an inherent right, an inherent authority, to be the saviors of human souls … and the regenerating force in the lives of God’s children.”

Motherhood is the most ennobling endowment our Father In Heaven could give His daughters, a sacred trust that gave women an unparalleled role in helping His children keep their second estate.
Elder John A. Widtsoe was explicit: “Women who through no fault of their own cannot exercise the gift of motherhood directly, may do so vicariously.”

For reasons only known to the Lord, I have been required to wait for my dream of a family, which I am sure the waiting will carry on to my next estate. This delay is so hard for me, especially as my friends and family graduate from motherhood to grandmotherhood. The Lord’s timetable for me does not change my nature which means that I must simply find other ways to be a  mother. All around us are those who need to be loved and led. I have the responsibility to love and help lead the rising generation. How will our young women learn to live as women of God unless they see what women of God look like, meaning what we wear, watch, and read; how we fill our time and our minds; how we face temptation and uncertainty; where we find true joy; and why modesty and femininity are hallmarks of righteous women? How will our young men learn to value women of God if we don’t show them the virtue of our virtues?

I am so grateful that I can mother vicariously through my nieces, nephews, and other children in my life! I am grateful for the parents of all those children who allow me the joy of influencing their children's lives. and until I have children of my own ... there is so much to do :o) ...



 My sister, Ruth, will be having her baby on Tuesday the 10th ... it's a boy, His name will be August. My sister in Law, Mindi will be having a baby girl on Thursday. I think they are naming her, Lucy ... I could be wrong. My niece, Devin, recently announced she is having a Baby in December and my nephew will become a dad in October. My other nephew became a dad in March! Not to mention all the sweet ones that are already here and growing up  WOW! So many babies and only one auntie Jana! My work is just beginning! LOL! I am thrilled for all of them.

No comments: