Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sprinkles make life better...






I remember when I was a child, my uncle would stop for ice cream for any given reason or for no reason at all and whom ever was in the car with him was treated to the creamy decadence of the frozen treat! He stopped at Fendells ... which I don't even think is there anymore (on 7th east, and about 450 south) I loved going there, I always got ice cream with whipped cream and sprinkles! Sprinkles always made it better! for as long as I can remember sprinkles have made anything and everything better!
 I listened to the cutest audio story online  http://stacyjulian.com/sprinkles/?page_id=16  and I started thinking, Life is better with sprinkles! Donuts, cupcakes and ice cream are always better with sprinkles ... but I'm not talking about those ... I am talking about the little sprinkles we count on everyday to just get through the day. sometimes those sprinkles are not obvious. sometimes we have to look for them ... "go shopping for your daily sprinkles" as it were.

My life...huh ...is at a very frustrating crossroad ...There are things about it that really bite! But I'm OK and I have the faith that this too shall pass. However, it is so easy to get overwhelmed by the circumstances I am in, the frustration for not being where I want and need to be is not just maddening, it's depressing!  So when I listened to the cute story about sprinkles on Stacy Julian's site, I started thinking about daily sprinkles ... the ones that make life better; sprinkles of light, sprinkles of sunshine, sprinkles of hope, faith or peace, or even sprinkles of joy, laughter or gratitude! those moments in any given day that bring you what you need to get you through the day or just through the moment sometimes.

Sometimes just noticing the details of something wondrous in God's world is a sprinkle of light, like a flower or a butterfly ... or a ladybug ...

Or spending a moment laughing at something totally ridiculous ...
Or taking a moment to ponder and listen to the still small voice and realize how blessed you are, even in the chaos of your daily trials!
I experienced a sprinkle of pure joy today when a little girl at church told me I laugh like an angel...
when I said to her that she was lucky because I've never heard an angel laugh, she very earnestly replied... "You need to be still, very still and listen..and you can here it!" Her statement brought me to tears. I realized that I need to listen with the pure innocence of a child... and maybe I can hear it too!

"Sprinkles are such little things,  yet when you shake a few sprinkles on top of something ordinary it becomes extraordinary! When you learn to follow your curiosities, practice daily creativity, and treat people with unexpected compassion, you discover a magical dimension of life that is completely delightful in every way!" adapted from a quote on stacyjulian.com

I changed the quote a bit, (sorry Stacy). I have realized that life is filled with sprinkles! And sprinkles must be savored!  To savor your sprinkles, however, it is necessary to recognize them, to find them everyday and load them up as treasures in your heart! Today I promise myself to find my daily sprinkles! Maybe you can embark on that journey as well, it could be a great adventure.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's hear it for SPRINKLES!

Kayleen said...

What a wonderful thought

Anonymous said...

Jana,

Your post has sprinkled my day -- thank YOU so much for listening to my story and for letting it touch you.

Thank you too for reading my blog. I hope that you find the strength (daily) to weather your storm.