Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Day 6 Writing challenge: True Confessions


Disclaimer: It is true that I missed three days of this challenge due to computer issues. I toyed with the fact that I could just stop ... I , however, chose not to. and so this challenge continues...



Dear Mom,
  I “borrowed” your car keys. I was 17 and you were out of town. I took advantage of the situation and went on a joy ride with my gals! I was pulled over in the avenues for going the wrong way on a one way street. The policeman let me off with a warning and told me to go home and next time get permission to take the car.  My friends and I went to Trolley Square, (it was on the way home). 
You trusted me. I was such a good kid, I never gave you cause to doubt me. I never told you about the “senior year car theft” So, now, I come clean! I took your car! I went to Trolley Square with my friends and we ate in the car! Yes FOOD was in your car and not in a grocery bag either!  When Mickey broke the catsup packet on the upholstery we laughed! I found great joy in the fact that I defied you in such a way! Your car did not disintegrate or melt when the catsup was spilled! I wore no seat belt. I purchased no gas. I did, however, clean up the spilled catsup, I only did that to rid the car of evidence

 
Part of this confession is that I don’t feel bad when I remember this. I laugh when I remember this. I had a “stinker streak” inside of me, that, back in the day,  I rarely shared. So now when my nieces and nephews make crazy life choices, I can tell them honestly that I stole a car once. They needn't be told the details. I might take away from my street cred …

No comments: